DATES: July 12~25 (No class on weekends)
TIME: Daily activity runs from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Complimentary lunch is provided daily.
LOCATION: Bryant University
FEE: $100 program fee, paid upon acceptance.
- Customized curriculums based on National Standards of Foreign Language Education, and STARTALK endorsed best practices of effective instruction.
- Small class setting with close interaction with instructors in multiple proficiency levels.
- Well-designed cultural workshops and field trip associated with language learning and cultural appreciation
- Teaching and learning are supported by advanced classroom technology
- Opportunity to take Bryant Chinese language course at discount rate
- Creative and engaging language instructions in align with the National Foreign Language Teaching Standards by STARTALK trained teachers.
- Themed-based curriculum emphasizing real-world communication.
- Small classes to accommodate students at various proficiency levels (No previous Chinese experience is required).
- A variety of cultural presentations and workshops with hands-on activities.
- A field trip to Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and the Kim Man Market in Quincy, MA.
Previous Chinese experience is NOT required. Applicants need to complete the following materials:
- Application Form (downloadable)
- Bryant University Waiver Form and Media Release Form.
- Cover letter addressing “Why I want to learn Chinese with STARTALK.” (For previous students, please add information on your continuous Chinese learning activities after previous STARTALK)
- Latest copy of your transcript.
- One recommendation letter from a teacher (any subject).
All application materials need be mailed in a sealed envelope to the address below:
Ms. Kun Xie
1150 Douglas Pike
Smithfield, RI 02917
Do NOT include $100 program fee in the application package. It will be collected upon acceptance.
Seats are limited. For applications with similar background, priority will be given to earlier applicants.
Application deadline is May 31st.
“This year at Startalk has been really fun for me. I remember doing lots of fun things like doing kung fu in the morning, to playing ping pong in the afternoon. I loved meeting new people every day and still keep in touch with lots of them. Learning Chinese in class was fun too, we learned differently and played some games revolving around the language.”
“Over the course of the last two weeks at the Startalk 2012 program I had many great times. I enjoyed meeting new people from all over, as well as learning Mandarin... I had many good memories at Startalk, and there will stay with me.”
"After participating in the Startalk program, I have learned not only the Chinese language but also the rich culture that makes up China... Startalk is an exceptional program that has taught me the foundations of the Chinese language and I hope to come back next year and learn even more."