K - 12 Chinese Programs
Affiliated Confucius Classroom (CC): In 2008, Bryant University Confucius Institute’s partnership with Hanban has expanded into local K-12 schools with its Affiliated Confucius Classrooms initiative in Rhode Island and the surrounding areas. Since 2009, nine K-12 schools in RI and MA have established affiliated CCs. With the support from Bryant CI, CC are able to offer Chinese language and culture programs and events to students, teachers and local community.
K-12 Chinese Enrichment Program: We help local K-12 schools to develop their Chinese language and culture enrichment programs by providing professional consulting and guest presenters on cultural workshops and handcraft activities.
STARTALK/Chinese Summer Camp for Youth: Since 2007, Bryant University has been granted the STARTALK funding by the National Security Agent (NSA) to offer a three-week teacher training workshops and practicums for local K-12 Chinese teachers, as well as a two-week language classes and culture workshops for American middle and high school students over the summer. The standards of ACTFL National Foreign Language Education and best practices on Chinese instructional strategies are applied for the program design and implementation. Through 2018 for 12 consecutive years, there are over 300 local teachers and 600 students have participated Bryant University STARTALK Teacher Training Program and Student Program respectively. Based on STARTALK’s program structure and teaching strategies, a two-week Chinese Summer Camp for Youth is designed and offered every summer.
Community Chinese Classes: We offer non-credit Chinese classes for both young learners in K-12 schools and adults. Registration starts in late August for the class in Fall, and mid-December for the class in Spring respectively.
Dates: Monday, July 6th ~ Friday, July 17th. (No weekend activities)
Time: 9:00a.m. ~ 3:00p.m.
Location: Bryant University, 1150 Douglas Pike, Smithfield, RI 02917.
Program Fee: $180/ student.
· Customized curriculum based on the National Standards of Foreign Language Education.
· Language classes are conducted through carefully designed student-centered activities and group exercises.
· Small classes to accommodate students at different proficiency levels.
· A variety of culturally enriched presentations and workshops with hands-on activities led by guest presenters.
· Field trip to: Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, and the Kam Man Market in Quincy, MA.
· Classes are led by local professional language teachers with extensive experience in teaching Chinese to K-12 students.
The program flyer can be downloaded here.
· On-line Application Form
· Waiver Form
· Media Release Form
· A copy of the student’s latest school transcript or report card.
· An essay on “Why I Want to Participate in the Chinese Summer Camp for Youth”
· A check for the program fee, $180/student, payable to “Bryant University”
Please email scanned Waiver Form, Media Release Form, transcript (or report card), and the essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For program fee check, or any hard copies of the application materials, please mail them to the address below:
Ms. Kun Xie
1150 Douglas Pike
Smithfield, RI 02917.
No previous Chinese learning experience is required. Application deadline is May 31.
For questions, or further information, please contact Ms. Kun Xie, Assistant Director for Confucius Institute, at 401 232 6883, or email@example.com.